Wesley's Timeline

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, December 22, 2008

Something New... The Best Gift

You may have noticed there is a new button over on the right of my screen. It is because a few months ago I registered with the Bone Marrow Donor list. I can't remember if I posted about this before (I think I have) but this time of year seems the perfect time to remind people about this selfless act. It only takes a few minutes of your time (literally) to be registered on the list... and with that registration you could be saving someone's life. Not figuratively, but literally. There is a compelling story and video of a 34 year-old woman whose life was changed when she was diagnosed with leukemia and again when a 19 year-old man in Germany matched her type and agreed to donate.

I am so very lucky that no one in my immediate circle of family and friends has faced such a frightening diagnosis. And I hope that they never will. But I'm on the list. So, if someone else's mother, father, sister or brother needs a donation and I match... I can give them the best gift in the world. I can only hope that should I ever need such a gift, there is a person out there who matches me and who has done the same. Won't you join the list today?

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

My best friend had a bone marrow transplant at age 20 that saved her life. Luckily one of her sisters was a match. Otherwise, who knows what would have happened to her. Good cause, Jenna!