Wesley's Timeline

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Jenna's Day, which was atypical (and thus typical)

A friend of mine and I keep playing telephone tag. She is a new mother and I am a working professor... and to say our schedules don't match is a bit of an understatement. So I thought I might give you just a little run-down of how my day has gone. Now of course today is an atypical day because I did things that I don't usually do... but then again when I think about it, most days are atypical. So, here it goes:

6:30am- wake up (hooray for day light savings as it is now light again when I get up... of course it isn't quite 5 now and the sun is setting!), get ready, walk Tater, think about having a balanced breakfast but instead opt for hot blueberry tea (to which I am currently addicted) and a few nutter butter cookies.

7:40am- Leave my house.

7:55-8:45am- Arrive at work. Make sure my lesson plans are in place for both of my classes today and that I have all of the necessary materials for photocopying after my 9 o'clock class (the photocopier is in the building where I teach MWF mornings and if I can organize myself enough I try to do all of my photocopying before or after one of those classes), quickly check my e-mail, and head off to class.

9:00-9:50am- Give a lecture on the effective use of power point coupled with a lecture on audience analysis (since I missed Monday's lecture) in Speech Fundamentals.

9:50-10:30am- Make photocopies (and make a few last minutes choices) of my acting class' final scenes.

10:30-10:40am- Meet the other members of the Education Interview panel, with whom I'll be interviewing four perspective students in the teacher education program.

10:40-12:30- They are supposed to be 20 minutes each, and done by 12:00... though we tried to stick to the time limit this is one more example of how time limits and academics don't work.

12:30-12:45- Meet/chat with the head of the education department... you never know when connections may help you!

12:45-12:50- Run back to the theatre building!

12:50-1:00- Go to the bathroom, find lecture notes for class and realize there is no time for lunch...

1:00-1:50- Lecture on costume design, specifically what a costume says about a character and how to initially approach a script.

1:50-2:30- Discuss costume designs for student shows with student designers, make a shopping list for said designers to buy things for Miracle on 34th Street, realize that my stomach is growling.

2:30-2:40- Heat, and eat Lean Pocket. Realize that I have a department meeting in 20 minutes.

2:45-3:00- Walk to department meeting with colleague and discuss puppeteer costumes, as we did not get to at the Monday production meeting which I missed.

3-4:30- in a meeting that was supposed to be from 3-4 (see 10:40-12:30), we discussed paperless advising and I learned how to check students' test scores on our online system.

4:30-4:45- Debate walking to the library and returning some books/getting the last of my students' scenes to copy. Then decide I can do that tomorrow morning and instead head back to theatre building.

4:45-4:47- Call student designers to check on progress of shopping trip as they're not back yet.

4:47-4:50- Start this blog entry

4:50-5:05- Take a break from the blog entry to meet a student's dog (yes here at Adams we are all about the students! And frankly, the dog was a really cute beagle mix).

5:15... oh wait, that's now. Okay so I'm writing this blog entry... a student comes to ask about her scene partner... then the student designers come back and show me what they've bought.

5:21- Back to writing after I talk with the students... another student stops and I need to show her the new gloves for the puppeteers... she then chats with me about her dog, laptop, etc (yes, again, we're focused on our students here)!

5:28- Back to writing... this time I'm going to finish! I'll now leave here, go to a few stores looking for things to put in my Christmas gift baskets... then home, to eat dinner, grade some papers and hopefully be done by 8 so I can watch a movie with Reid... then to bed and tomorrow I'll start all over again (only tomorrow night, like last night, I'll be here until 10:30 for student rehearsals).

Hope your days were good ones!

4 comments:

JayD said...

Hooray for "typical"!!

That is what makes life fun. Be sure and play with Tater between grading papers!

Alice said...

Ok, I'm tired.

Merrilee said...

I think that you totally deserve a movie after a day like that!!!

moondaiseez said...

I am honored that I rated a blog entry. a record of my day would only sound repetitive as I feed, burp, change, and repeat