Wesley's Timeline

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

IT WORKED!

The turkey worked. Paul hung it yesterday during work study, inflated it and it works! It looks like a turkey! In fact, it works a little too well because it stays inflated long after we turn the fans off... so today or tomorrow I'm going to put zippers in two of the toes so that once it gets off stage they can unzip them and let the air out quickly. I will try to bring my camera with me in the next few days and get someone to help me inflate it and take a picture.

For the engineer... no... I did not make a scale model. I did have a drawing with dimensions. Basically the body is two pieces of fabric sewn together on three sides, with a bit of a curve to the front and back. The drumsticks are two rectangles of fabric, gathered into a circle cut on each side of the body. Then the legs are squares sewed into tubes, with the drumstick gathered into the top of it (so that the drumstick looks fat at both the top and the bottom). Then at the bottom of the leg is a circle sewn in, which has three additional circles cut out of it and that is where the toes are sewn in (which are also long rectangles sewn into tubes with the end of it stitched into a point). So I didn't really need to mock up a pattern as it was all squares and rectangles.... but because it was so big I was worried that the fans wouldn't be able to fill it, or the proportions would look weird, or something... but it works!

In other news, I worked out for the fourth time this morning... for those few readers of mine (Jamie) who have worked out regularly, when does it get easier? Or more specifically, when do I stop feeling like I'm going to throw up?? My muscles are less sore, so they are getting used to it. But my stomach and lungs think this is ridiculous stuff!

5 comments:

Alice said...

Daddy says and I agree, VELCRO not zippers. much easier to put in and faster even to open!

JayD said...

You remeber the old velcro top in Nick and Ruthie's balloon. And maybe you remember all of those velcro spots in some of the special shapes. Well, guess what? You just built your first special shape inflatable !!

Anonymous said...

When does working out get easier? Probably after about two weeks. Plus, I know you are short of breath, but a decent work out should always leave you slightly (I mean slightly) winded. As for the overheating, make sure you are drinking enough water DURING the workout itself, that should help. Good luck and keep it up! I look forward to hearing your encouragement once I pop out a baby.

Merrilee said...

WHOOHOOO!!!!!! Congratulations on building a turkey!!!! It sounds really, really complicated, like something that I would totally mess up and/or sew the legs together. As for the working out thing, I find working out is the easiest when I leave my workout clothes at home (in another state) like I did yesterday...

Stephanie said...

Yay on the turkey!!! I think we should talk about that critique assignment this winter. I like your idea. As it stands, I do make the instructions pretty specific, and I can tell if they went. This was just a case of stupidity. They turned in identical papers - it wouldn't have mattered what the subject was about. But, I think I need to change the assignment up. Julie gave me some really great suggestions. But, I'll call you over break! And the good news is, working out not only eventually becomes easier, it also becomes something your body craves, and you feel GOOD afterwards - keep it up! You have a lot to look forward too :-)