Wesley's Timeline

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Failure...

Twelve days in and I failed in my quest to post all days of November. Yesterday was a bear. Work was long, exhausting, and seem to gone on for far too long... coupled with coming home, snarfing down a sub and then heading right back to school. On top of that the puppet feet did not go according to plan. However, by the end of the evening the director was willing to make a compromise that meant our design would work with one slight modification. Reid is helping to make the supports out of steel this evening. Then I'll take them to work tomorrow, stitch them to the shoes and be done! Hooray!! Then there will be much rejoicing. Of course, Paul came to me today with the dimensions for the giant turkey legs that we have to sew for the Macy's Day float. Ah... it never ends... until the day of opening... and then it had better be done!

Today was an easier day. I spent most of the morning ordering costume pieces over the internet from various sources, then taught acting and then worked in the costume shop where we got a fair amount done. When working with novice sewers I must always remind myself that everything will take four times (and sometimes more) longer than it should... and yes, I could do it faster myself... but they need to learn. The proof is definitely in the pudding, in that my sophomores, juniors and seniors in the shop get things done... I have seen all of them improve immensely in the year and a quarter that they've been working for me. And I'm sure this batch of new students will be the same.

Then I stopped at the hardware store with Reid to buy the rest of what we need for the puppets and now we're home; Reid is making us dinner (grilled cheese and mac&cheese... can you say we like cheese?? And we need to go to the grocery store??) and I'm now done posting on my blog and will settle into Christmas present making.
Enjoy the rest of your evening!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good days and bad days, we all have them. Have fun making Christmas presents.

Alice said...

Turkey legs??
I really want to see the photos of these.

JayD said...

Hey a long post makes up for missing the post on the long day. Don't throw in the towel too soon. :-)